Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Mover and A Shaker!

So besides selling vintage, working a little downtown shop job, kissing my babe and kitties and hanging out with my friends and family, I also feel that one of my most important passions in this life is my birth work.



As a women of child bearing age, but not yet ready to consciously conceive a child I was called to research natural birth control methods about 8 years ago.  I had taken birth control pills when I was in high school and even though I would not say at that time I was socially conscious or naturally minded I knew that they were not a sustainable practice (when I was younger I thought I never wanted children!) and I felt they were not good for my body and cycles.  I ended up finding the amazing book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility, by Toni Weschler about this time and I haven't taken birth control since (I also recommend this book for any fertility issues!  It has become like a bible to me!  This book changed my life!  I felt for the first time that I had control over my body with the knowledge of it's cycles and realized there was so much I didn't know and felt like why didn't they (ANYONE!)  tell me!  I think that is when I become passionate about natural women's health, fertility  and body knowledge.



A couple years later a friend told me in passing about Ina May Gaskin and The Farm and wouldn't you know it a copy of her book, Spiritual Midwifery and I crossed paths soon there after and that book changed my life all over again!  Around this same time a friend of mine had a homebirth and was amazingly empowered and I started learning, researching, talking and thinking more about all the knowledge that literally was flowing into me and through me.
I do plan on having children at some point now and I am so excited to birth them!  I feel like I am still developing my personal philosphy and beliefs about birth.

This year, besides starting The Awesome Birth Teacher Training I also started my doula certification through DONA.  Sometimes, I feel really radical about my ideas and views on birth, but then I realize I truly believe in the female body and babies so strongly and lovingly!  I feel babies should be brought into this world as gently and lovingly as possible, as free from interventions and as natural as possible.  I feel that educating families and supporting and educationg mamas and papas is key.  I feel that with birth practices becoming more sustainable we will bring to life a healthier and more peaceful world.  I can't wait to see where this path leads me and what is to come with my birth work and I can't wait to birth my own babies and raise them.



This is a response for the Awesome Birth Teacher Training and I am thinking of documenting each response on my blog!  I really want this blog space to expand!  Each week, I will be submitting a response for this training and I will also blog them!  Also, lots of shifting in my personal life and if everything goes as planned my man and I are going to be moving and fixing up a house on acreage!  We are so excited and I am really excited to document our homesteading adventure as it progresses as well! :) :) I'll keep y'all posted ;)

*All Images Via The Underground Press*

1 comment:

red moon arrow said...

love this Chelsea! That last pic was so awesome. all men should look like that with their pregnant ladies. So glad we got to catch up the other day on life and such. Missed you out at Marcos on Saturday but Im coming back to pville this weekend. Love you so much girl. Excited to hear more news on your land, midwife training, beautiful vintage treasures etc. <3 happy hearts your way. <3