Sunday, May 13, 2012

Warrior with Feathers




So, we all know how excited I was to become a chicken farmer!  After the loss of Sriracha, I have tried to become less attached and view my girls with a little less permanence.  This has been a battle for me and living in the rural area that I do, I have had my heart broken by the loss of my ladies many a time.  In fact, for the last several months we have been down to the last TWO survivors.  Fanny and Mookie.
Enjoying one of their faves, watermelon!
And then about a week ago, Fanny, my little Fan Fan was taken by a fox.  I presume eaten.  I witnessed her abduction, but couldn't catch up t0 the fox.  It was stupid and I of course was saddened.  I am still sad. 

Fanny in the same Iris' Mookie hid in when the fox took her.

Mookie hid in our Iris' while Chi Chi our male cat guarded her.  It was a sad day.  We all miss poor little Fanny.  It sucks to be on the bottom of the food chain.  And then we were left with our lone survivor, Mookie.  We were talking about getting Mookie a friend... then two days after the loss of Fanny... the fox came back.  My roommate and chicken farming partner and I were both hanging out in the yard while Mookie was scratching around looking for bugs just feet from us.  All of a sudden Mookie was gone.  Heather, my roommate says something about the fox got Mookie and runs into the poison oak forrest in the direction of the feathers.

Olive playing in the feathers the day after.
I just stood there in shock.  And for some reason, I guess because the fox was being chased, it dropped Mookie.  Heather came walking back with a lifeless Mookie bleeding from her mouth and her eyes unblinking.  I thought she was dead.  We thought at least she will take her last little breath cozy with us.  And then about 5 minutes later ripped open and in shock, but still breathing, she stands up and lays an egg!  HA.  I then called Sierra Wildlife who in the past, when the same chicken, Mookie was bitten in the wing by a fox their water foul professional had given us advice.  I called her back.  She said if she lived through the night we should call the parrot vet :)
Heather with Mookie when she was bitten in the wing last year!  Such a trooper :)



Whelp, she lived through the night :)  :) :)
And then the parrot vet gave her stitches!


And put her on pain killers and antibiotics galore.


She has slowly started to regain her appetite and is still sore.  Everyday I sit in the sun with her and talk to her and feed her her favorite foods.  She is a loved to death chicken.  By my roommate too!

In her cat bed nest, trying to get her to eat a little cantaloupe.
Some people think we are crazy to have spent the time and energy on this chicken, but sheesh the things you do for love.  

In healthier times.
Mookie's baby photo :) Oh my my.  She was always my baby.

I can't get over what a fighter this chicken is!  She is a bad ass bitch.  Sometimes, animals are fighters and survivors just like people.  She's tough.  She has one tail feather left.  Cheap shot, that fox came from behind.



So, now we are just gettin' her healed.  Loving her, cuddling her, kissing her, spoiling her.  Chickens are very resilient given the chance.  She is doing great!






She's a beautiful part of my life :)  and she has golden feathers.

2 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

she is soooo cute chelsea, it kills me. so glad she made it through. country living is tough! i love how much you guys love her, no wonder she's so badass.

ashley said...

Woohoo! What a fighter she is, and what a lover you are! She is so lucky to have you and your roommate to care for her! Im so happy to hear that she is on the mend!